As a Firmware Engineer, you will directly support the application engineering team as a technical engineer for the Remote Control Unit (RCU) products at UEI. You will assist in capturing and clarifying product requirements to estimate the schedule and complexity of the work for the initial RFQ. Similarly, you will assist and support proof-of-concept products, field trials at customer site, troubleshooting and integration efforts and any other technical support required by customer and/or application engineering team. In addition, you will interface with software development team to propose and implement solutions for customers as well as the European Program Management team for alignment on planning and risk assessments.
The Firmware Engineer works in a cross functional team and reports to the Firmware Director (RCU) in the USA with daily tasks coming from the Application Engineering Team in Europe.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities:
Your responsibility will include:
- Assist application engineering team on the technical software response to customer RFQs.
- Regional subject matter expert on embedded software for Remote Control Unit (RCU) products.
- Configuration and use of RCU software for proof-of-concept (PoC) development and field trials for customers.
- Interface and work with software development team to ensure proper alignment to enable customer design and product.
- Interface and work with European Program Management team on programs to do impact assessments and come up with scenario’s for solutions to issues. Do this all in alignment with and USA SNA SW team.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, debug and resolve customer reported issues in a timely manner.
- Replicate issues and testing customer related configurations in a lab environment.
- Prepare and present demos and trainings.
- Review, assist, and potentially resolve integration issues with customer product (e.g. STB).
- Interface with the AE Team members, engineering, program management and product management to escalate and resolve issues.
- BS or MS in computer science/Electronics/Telecommunication engineering or related field.
- 5+ year experience in either a technical support engineering or FAE role is desired.
- 2-3 years C programming experience in the embedded systems.
- Previous experience in embedded software development and/or software field application working with embedded STB customer is a plus.
- Ability to analyze the Bluetooth Low-Energy (BLE) communication between central and peripheral device.
- In-depth knowledge of the development tools and technologies (e.g. BLE/Rf4CE/ZigBee) a plus.
- Broad background in product development from concept through development into high volume production.
- In-depth understanding of microprocessor architecture (ARM), interface technologies (USB, UART, SPI, I2C), and IR (infra-red).
- Experience with scripting languages and for test automation (Perl, Python or similar).
- Experience with Firmware debug skills with tools such as JTAG/serial debugger, protocol analyzer and oscilloscopes.
- Experience in consumer electronics product development, especially hand-held devices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, collaborative skills, crossfunctional interface skills, analytical skills and problem solving capabilities are essential.
- Ability to effectively present technical concepts, ideas and information in terms that both engineers and non-engineers can understand.
- Capable of working on multiple projects in a deadline driven environment.
- Willing to travel within Europe for customer visit.
Be part of a team that has a true passion for innovation and technology. Those passions resonate worldwide throughout all of UEI’s locations with talented innovators, engineers, and designers. Team members are focused on improving the user experience while solving industry and consumer challenges. UEI offers talent the opportunity to develop oneself and grow both horizontal or vertically throughout the global organization.